Emergency Preparedness Tips
Safety is at the core of everything Hydro One employees do. Not only are our crews trained in First Aid, every Hydro One vehicle is equipped with a First Aid kit. Hydro One wants to remind your family to be prepared in case of an extended emergency.
For Emergency Preparedness Week, and year-round, make it a family activity to create a list of items your family would need in the event of an extended emergency and gather together your emergency kit. Consider including the following items:
- Water (recommend 2L per person/day)
- Canned or dried food that won’t spoil
- A manual can opener
- Windup or battery powered flashlight
- Windup or battery powered radio
- Batteries for your flashlight and radio
- A copy of your emergency evacuation plan
- Any medical items you require
- Your community’s recovery plan
- Hydro One’s emergency power outage hotline number – 1-800-434-1235.
Ensure you have at least one corded phone at home; a cordless phone will not work in a power outage. Keep your emergency kit in a backpack and make sure everyone in your home knows where to find it. For power outage information, download our free mobile app.
We've also created an emergency preparedness video to educate customers on what they should have prepared in a 72-hour kit at home.